Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Happy Birthday, Mr. Lovecraft

August 17 was the 121st birthday of Mr. H.P. Lovecraft, who was either the worst great writer, or the greatest bad writer, of 20th century America, a place where he felt not at all at home. In his honor, the fanblog The Lovecraftsman published pictures of 50 Cthulhu-themed cakes. Some of them just look like Octopi to me, but what the hey - it's a hard project. I particularly like the ones where the sucker-lined arms are crushing little people.

2 comments:

  1. I actually like The Dreamquest of Unknow Kadath when I read it back in high school. I don't know what I'd think of it now, his prose was so...long winded?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I first read him in junior high and hated him; had to grow up to get the right frame of mind for him. One astute critic described his prose style as "going straight past purple into the ultraviolet range." That pretty much sums it up.

    ReplyDelete