Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Hard Stuff Should Be Easier

No, not life, death, love, justice, good, evil. That stuff is major and therefore at least interesting.

Today I need to write a follow-up to a query. The stated response time has expired; it is a rejecting (rather than a rejection by ignoring) house, I need to wave my arms and ask: "Hey, did you get to me in the time?" Then I need to wait another six weeks and write to say I'm going on to the next place on the list.

I hate having to do this kind of crap.

I don't feel like it should be necessary. I know how swamped agents and editors are; I've been in their offices. But if you do your job and are organized, and are truthful when stating your turnaround times, nobody should ever have to remind you to do your job.

On the other hand, how many times have I let an e-mail scroll off the bottom of the screen before getting back to it, and never gotten back to it? How many times have I thought I'd done something, and for lack of noticing that I'd saved rather than sent, not finished it up? If it happens to me, why shouldn't it happen to agents and editors and so on? Even hardworking dedicated ones who are doing their jobs as well as they can.

So, off I go. It won't be that difficult. The hardest part is getting myself to do it. Witness the fact that I've known since I opened the file where I track submissions this morning that I needed to do it, and it's almost 11 and I haven't done it yet. The feeling that it shouldn't be necessary is just that big a mental roadblock.

Should. It's a stupid concept. What should be doesn't matter. What is, does.

No comments:

Post a Comment