Thursday, January 30, 2014

Not a Complaint, Just an Observation

I have spent my entire professional life having to swim against my natural tendency to see and hear every viewpoint as equally important, equally valid; to be as interested (or more so) in the life of the person trying to cross the street as in the results of the epic chase scene. (Movie chase scenes bore me to tears and leave me wondering about all the people they drive right by, whose equally important business is thus disrupted.) Third-person omniscience, casts of thousands, and leisurely poking through all the stories to be found intersecting to form one big story have not been in fashion in my lifetime, except in the format of soap opera - a genre whose conventions, unfortunately, require that no one ever learn from experience and everyone make stupid choices ad nauseum.

I do not say that this is a good thing or a bad one. It is what it is, that's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment