Monday, January 18, 2010

Headlines! ALA Awards!

The American Library Association Youth Media Awards are posted at ALA's site, and I get more reflected glory. Diego: Bigger Than Life, illustrated by David Diaz, written by Carmen T. Bernier-Grand, and published by Marshall was honored with both the author and the illustrator Pura Belpre award, and I've known Carmen T. on the internet for years. I even had her vet my book The Music Thief for gringo stupidity. So I'm very proud of her.

Tanya Lee Stone hasn't been on the listserve as long and I can't claim any close acquaintance with her, but her Almost Astronauts: 13 Women Who Dared to Dream, won the Robert F. Sibert Medal for most distinguished informational book for children, and I'm going to take the liberty of being proud of her, too.

Now for the embarrassing admission - of all the Newbery books, award and honors, I have only read The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg by Rodman Philbrick. This is because I can't make myself keep up with all the new books coming out and choose my books haphazardly, based on what I happen to run across, rather than actively reserving books or ordering them. So I'm always behind the curve on Newbery day, and am not much good at improving the dismal record of the SFWA for haphazard and sometimes inexplicable nominations for the Andre Norton Awards, which has always acted as the neglected stepchild of the Nebula. But I'll get 'em read.

No comments:

Post a Comment