Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Headlines! Erectus on Crete!

Probably erectus - no bones, just handaxes; but erectus is the go-to species for certain eras, the default assumption for reasons I'm not going to mess with this morning. The important thing is, some hand ax making population got to Crete, which is inaccessible except by water, at least 130,000 years ago. This fits well with the homo floresiensis population, which looks like a dwarf subspecies of erectus whose ancestors got past the Wallace line, which means they had boats or could fly. All of which means that water transportation is as much a part of the basic human adaptation as fire and toolmaking, and we need to get used to that.

Ancient Hominids May Have Been Seafarers

Excuse me if I'm a little less coherent than usual. There's physical reasons for that you don't need to know about. I expect I'll write better next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment